Following the introduction of TikTok, YouTube also launched short-form video content known as YouTube Shorts. On YouTube, there is now both regular content (long-form videos) and short video content (YouTube Shorts). While many users appreciate Shorts on YouTube, some individuals prefer not to have YouTube Shorts featured on their YouTube app.
Initially confined to the Shorts feed, YouTube Shorts can now also be visible on your YouTube home screen. Not everyone desires Shorts to unexpectedly appear on their YouTube home screen. If you are frustrated with YouTube Shorts in the YouTube app and wish to deactivate it, this article is tailored for you.
How to Disable YouTube Shorts in YouTube App
This guide will walk you through the process of disabling YouTube Shorts in the YouTube app.
Mark Shorts Videos As Not Interested
YouTube’s algorithm tailors content suggestions based on user preferences. If you consistently mark Shorts as uninteresting, the algorithm will learn your preference, and Shorts will cease to appear in your recommendations. Follow these steps to achieve this:
- Open the YouTube app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap on the three dots located at the top right corner of the Shorts section on your YouTube home screen.
- From the pop-up menu that appears, select “Not Interested.”
- Repeat this process until YouTube stops displaying Shorts on your home screen.
To disable YouTube Shorts, you can downgrade the YouTube app. YouTube introduced Shorts with YouTube version 14.13.54, so downgrading to a version lower than that is necessary for a permanent disable. Follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the YouTube app on your screen, then tap on the App Info (i) icon.
- On the app info screen, tap on the three dots at the top right corner. Confirm the uninstallation of updates by tapping OK.
- This action will revert YouTube to the factory version, uninstalling all updates.
- Check the YouTube version on the app info screen; it should be 14.12.56 or below.Note: This method is applicable for Android users only; it won’t work for iOS users.
If the desired version is not achieved through this method, you can download the APK of the desired YouTube version and manually install it. Here is the link to download YouTube version 14.12.56 APK on your phone. Download the YouTube app from this link and proceed to install it on your device.
Use YouTube On Browser
If the aforementioned steps do not successfully disable YouTube Shorts in the YouTube app, access YouTube through your browser. Visit the YouTube website on your phone or PC, and YouTube Shorts should not be visible.
The methods mentioned above encompass all possible ways to disable YouTube Shorts from the YouTube app. Previously, users relied on YouTube Vanced to browse YouTube without encountering Shorts, but the app has been banned, rendering it unusable.
Additionally, there used to be an option to disable Shorts directly from the YouTube settings, but this feature has been removed by YouTube. If you aim to disable YouTube Shorts in the YouTube app, the provided steps will guide you through the process.